aaaand computer is acting up.....

(...and olds.)
Forum rules
No trolling, spamming, harassment, vulgarity or profanity.

aaaand computer is acting up.....

Postby RHJunior » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:00 am

looks like my desktop may be down for the count for awhile. worst possible timing.... using my laptop atm, all my art software and files are on the desktop though (of course.)

Its been behaving erratically for a while; I've had to leave it on 24-7 because sometimes when it boots up, the monitor remains black. Don't know if it's software or hardware-- might be the graphic card going bad, or the monitor, or a problem with the DLL. either way I had to reboot it just a while ago and while the computer reboots, save for a rare flicker as it boots up the screen stubbornly remains dead black. I'm gonna keep twiddling with it, but it looks like I may have killed it :P :oops:

I'm gonna see what I can cobble together around the laptop, hopefully keep limping along... but it looks kinda bad.
RHJunior
Site Admin

Re: aaaand computer is acting up.....

Postby Brannick » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:27 pm

Try connecting the monitor to your laptop. If it stays black there you have a dead monitor or a dead cable, and your PC is likely fine. If the monitor boots right up to your laptop, the issue could be either the port or the video card itself is the issue. This is especially likely if when jiggling the cable you sometimes get video and sometimes don't.

Good luck!
Misery doesn't need government to exist, but government needs Misery to justify itself. Government is a disease masquerading as it's own cure.
Brannick

Title: Captain Sea Horse
Species: Shire Horse

Postby RHJunior » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:02 pm

yup, looks like it's the monitor. Tried what you suggested--- I can see the same image on the desktop screen as on the laptop--- but really really really faint, have to squint close tosee the screen isn't totally black... flat broke atm. tho. between this and the electric and lot rent, I'm gonna have to dip into the funds for the probability bomb print run, pay it back later (hopefully) Hopefully ka-blam.com will let me convert my print credit backto cash, or I'm sunk
RHJunior
Site Admin

Postby Zarpaulus » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:06 pm

I'm pretty sure you can use your laptop as a monitor for the desktop, at least temporarily.
Zarpaulus

Species: Fox

Postby Wanderer » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:23 pm

RHJunior wrote:yup, looks like it's the monitor. Tried what you suggested--- I can see the same image on the desktop screen as on the laptop--- but really really really faint, have to squint close tosee the screen isn't totally black... flat broke atm. tho. between this and the electric and lot rent, I'm gonna have to dip into the funds for the probability bomb print run, pay it back later (hopefully) Hopefully ka-blam.com will let me convert my print credit backto cash, or I'm sunk

If it's an LCD monitor, then your backlight died. Beyond that, I am (pun not intended) in the dark.
Wanderer

Title: Forum Google-Fu Master
Species: C. lupus fuscus

Postby Daniel Meyer » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:29 pm

In totally unrelated news... :roll: ...expect a package Saturday Ralph.
CUAgain,
Daniel Meyer
Author. Adventurer. Electrician. Cat God.
http://lifeisaroad.com
Daniel Meyer

Postby LordHylia89 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:36 am

Aaaaaaaaaaaand his computer seems to have fried again...
Fight for Hyrule

Knock Knock!
Who's there?
WINTER!
*Canada intensifies*
- Spambot
LordHylia89

Postby LordHylia89 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:33 am

LordHylia89 wrote:Aaaaaaaaaaaand his computer seems to have fried again...

an update on this, but it has not just fried, but comepletely fried from the sounds of things...

UPDATE: Desktop is officially DOA. (distress beeps, rasping noises, lifeless black screen of total death.) Am trying to cobble an emergency setup together, but it seems my laptop will not handle– or even install– my art programs. It looks like I’m gonna be trying to raise funds to get a new desktop now… hopefully I can salvage the hard drive and its contents from the old one. Please, pretty please, order something.
Fight for Hyrule

Knock Knock!
Who's there?
WINTER!
*Canada intensifies*
- Spambot
LordHylia89

Postby Deckard Canine » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:19 pm

Is this the whole reason for Ralph going a full month without so much as an announcement on the site? I know that he can still use a computer for some things; he's been posting on Facebook lately.
Please read my webcomic, "Downscale," which updates Tuesdays and Fridays.

And for my movie reviews, look here.
Deckard Canine

Return to Site News