DAEMON!!!

Undiplomatic with purpose.
Forum rules
No trolling, spamming, harassment, vulgarity or profanity.

Re: DAEMON!!!

Postby BoKiana » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:58 pm

RHJunior wrote:
wolfie_inu wrote:Pretty much. It's a joke, and everyone considers it a joke.

Serious grimdark is Lovecraft. Games Workshop is in charge of a running joke which exists to sell games. "

Only some of us don't find the joke very funny.

Sooooo....don't buy the games, novels and other paraphernalia?
BoKiana

Title: Warmongering psychopath tool
Species: Collie

Postby Wanderer » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:30 am

Deckard Canine wrote:Some of his stories seem more emo than grimdark. "White people are descended from black people and apes! We should all kill ourselves with fire!"

If that's the Arthur Jermyn story, both the men and the apes were white. Lovecraft was racist enough on his own, thanks. :werewolf:

wolfie_inu wrote:
Wanderer wrote:Meh, Lovecraft wasn't so grimdark. The monsters lose in most of his stories.

And the Universe doesn't care either way. Regardless of whether you win or lose, eventually the human race is gonna go squish under the foot of some faceless horror that doesn't even notice or understand what it's just done - not that it would care if it could.

He didn't go to that well often -- "Call of Cthulhu" was about the only time he really covered that, simply because you can only get so much mileage out of "oh no, some giant thing's about to destroy the planet". Most of the time, he went with horror at discovering your ancestors were monsters (whether the miscegenation of "Jermyn" and "Shadow Over Innsmouth" or the ancestral horrors of "Rats in the Walls") or at having reality pulled out from under your feet ("Dreams in the Witch-House", to name one).

Wulfraed: Because you know they'd say it. :werewolf:

Zarpaulus wrote:"The indescribable horror!"

But still, at least half of those stories tended to end with the viewpoint character either dead or insane and a general feeling of just "staving off the inevitable."

As for the first, not really. Most of his stories either have a surviving narrator or are written in third-person -- even "The Doom that Came to Sarnath" doesn't kill the narrator. It's kind of hard to justify a story as being written by a dead man, at least in a believable fashion.

The second, though: Sadly, yes. Lovecraft suffered from depression. As he once wrote in a letter:

"I am only about half alive—a large part of my strength is consumed in sitting up or walking. My nervous system is a shattered wreck, and I am absolutely bored & listless save when I come upon something which peculiarly interests me. However—so many things do interest me, & interest me intensely, in science, history, philosophy, & literature; that I have never actually desired to die, or entertained any suicidal designs, as might be expected of one with so little kinship to the ordinary features of life."
Wanderer

Title: Forum Google-Fu Master
Species: C. lupus fuscus

Postby Wanderer » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:35 am

RHJunior wrote:
wolfie_inu wrote:Pretty much. It's a joke, and everyone considers it a joke.

Serious grimdark is Lovecraft. Games Workshop is in charge of a running joke which exists to sell games. "

Only some of us don't find the joke very funny.

And that's fair. There are wargamers on this forum, as I recall, and none of us mind you taking potshots at WH40K's ridiculous backstory. Heck, those of us who know the fluff are looking forward to your depiction of a techpriest, considering they have manuals as holy writ and perform sympathetic magic as part of every repair...
Wanderer

Postby Lockon » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:42 am

We're talking about a fanbase that makes jokes about how percussive maintenance is either blasphemy or a holy rite.

Honestly, I somehow doubt Ralph's done the research to parody this effectively. I mean, if it was ponies or something, I'd have less interest but I'd have higher expectations.

Oh well, If The Emperor Had a Text-to-Speech Device more than fills that niche.
Lockon

Title: He who does not taste good
Species: Token Human

Postby Wanderer » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:55 am

Eh, we'll see. Besides, the last time we complained too much, he eliminated Babbage and Lothario's scenes from the Trek parody, and we were all looking forward to those. :werewolf:
Wanderer

Postby Scott » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:22 pm

Lockon wrote:We're talking about a fanbase that makes jokes about how percussive maintenance is either blasphemy or a holy rite.

You forgot the holy Chant of Ignition, "Start, you bastard start!" :mrgreen:
Scott

Postby Von_Davidicus » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:37 am

Lockon wrote:We're talking about a fanbase that makes jokes about how percussive maintenance is either blasphemy or a holy rite.

Honestly, I somehow doubt Ralph's done the research to parody this effectively. I mean, if it was ponies or something, I'd have less interest but I'd have higher expectations.

Like his parody of Star Trek? I mean, someone who doesn't like the show will turn everything he doesn't like up to 11. A True Fan will own The Nitpickers Guide to Star Trek (choose which show. And yes, I own the one to Classic Trek).
When I was young
I was too good to have fun
And now I've just gotten too old.
Von_Davidicus

Postby Lockon » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:18 am

Von_Davidicus wrote:

Like his parody of Star Trek? I mean, someone who doesn't like the show will turn everything he doesn't like up to 11. A True Fan will own The Nitpickers Guide to Star Trek (choose which show. And yes, I own the one to Classic Trek).

I grew up on Power Rangers. Trust me, I know how to laugh at myself.
Lockon

Postby Von_Davidicus » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:51 pm

One of my favorite series ever is Redwall. And I will freely admit that in some spots, Brian Jacques (God rest him) blew it.
When I was young
Von_Davidicus

Postby Wanderer » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:48 pm

Von_Davidicus wrote:One of my favorite series ever is Redwall. And I will freely admit that in some spots, Brian Jacques (God rest him) blew it.

Yep. Like having to retcon humans out when he moved into further books.

Now me, I'm an Original Series Trekkie who's still paid attention to the later movies and series. The pajama uniforms (movie and TNG+), the "Dustbuster" phaser, the many, many "Laws of Roddenberry" that cheesed off the writers and threw out the Franz Joseph handbook and blueprints just because Schnaubelt wouldn't sell all of his rights to Paramount...

(The writers originally ignored Roddenberry as much as possible. With TNG, they had to learn when he had no idea what he was doing. He died during TNG, and at least they don't have to deal with so many of his mistakes since then...)

Heck, I was really looking forward to Ralph giving the "Starfleet sleeps around" characters (Kirk and Riker) a firm smackdown. (Kirk was bad enough back in the Sixties. Riker really got around.) To say nothing of Dr. Soong's questionable design choices with Data. (I mean, gold skin and yellow eyes? Anatomically correct? Come on!)
Wanderer

Postby Von_Davidicus » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:38 am

Wanderer wrote:
Von_Davidicus wrote:One of my favorite series ever is Redwall. And I will freely admit that in some spots, Brian Jacques (God rest him) blew it.

I was thinking Outcast of Redwall. My copy of Mossflower has split in two, Mariel of Redwall has seen better days, The Taggerung has some pages falling out, Outcast of Redwall is in near-perfect condition. Yeah.
When I was young
Von_Davidicus

Postby Lockon » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:17 am

Von_Davidicus wrote:
Wanderer wrote:

I was thinking Outcast of Redwall. My copy of Mossflower has split in two, Mariel of Redwall has seen better days, The Taggerung has some pages falling out, Outcast of Redwall is in near-perfect condition. Yeah.

Yeah... only read that one once. Can barely remember anything from it, and, no, I don't want a reminder, before you go crazy Wanderer, because I'm pretty sure I intentionally forgot.

Taggerung was probably my favorite. Really, the otter focused ones generally had my interest, even though, funnily enough, I have no personal affinity or affection for otters. Heck, I think they're completely overated in the cute department, which is apparently a serious statement. But, when Jacques had a riverdog as one of the mains, I always enjoyed them.
Lockon

Postby The J.A.M. » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:58 am

That series was a bit simplistic, IMHO. I would have loved to have seen an evil badger or otter or mouse or squirrel, and also rats, stoats, weasels, etc., trying to form a peaceful alliance with other species.
The J.A.M.

Title: El Mexicano
Species: Panthera onca

Postby Lockon » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:06 am

The J.A.M. wrote:That series was a bit simplistic, IMHO. I would have loved to have seen an evil badger or otter or mouse or squirrel, and also rats, stoats, weasels, etc., trying to form a peaceful alliance with other species.

Yeah... I think I've heard tale of some insanely enormous fanfiction that addresses that directly. I've never been supremely interested, even though the idea intrigues me...

Although I'm now getting some inkling of why I forgot most of Outcast.
Lockon

Postby Zarpaulus » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:02 pm

Found this on Facebook recently:

:withstupid:
Zarpaulus

Species: Fox

Postby Deckard Canine » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:21 pm

Why not both?
Please read my webcomic, "Downscale," which updates Tuesdays and Fridays.

And for my movie reviews, look here.
Deckard Canine

Postby wolfie_inu » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:22 pm

Zarpaulus wrote:Found this on Facebook recently:

:withstupid:

The Emprah protects!
Napoleon and all his veterans have never treated us so roughly as these hard-bitten farmers with their ancient theology and their inconveniently modern rifles.
wolfie_inu

Postby Wanderer » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:31 am

Deckard Canine wrote:Why not both?

Heh. :werewolf: Mainly the difference in outlook.

Star Trek is all about hope: Everything is solvable, even a holocaust is survivable, and people are basically decent.

WarHammer 40,000 is all about combat: Violence is the only real solution, almost nothing is truly survivable, and people are basically out for themselves.
Wanderer

Postby wolfie_inu » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:39 am

Wanderer wrote:WarHammer 40,000 is all about combat

Which figures, since the lore exists only to create a justification for every type of unit to fight every other type of unit incessantly :P
Napoleon and all his veterans have never treated us so roughly as these hard-bitten farmers with their ancient theology and their inconveniently modern rifles.
wolfie_inu

Postby Deckard Canine » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:32 pm

Wanderer, my point is that you can expect one thing and want another.
Please read my webcomic, "Downscale," which updates Tuesdays and Fridays.

And for my movie reviews, look here.
Deckard Canine

PreviousNext

Return to Quentyn Quinn, Space Ranger